Reflecting on the value of sharing experiences. . .

Laureen S.
on 11/12/10 9:27 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
For those of you not familiar with 12 Step Programs, this post is about Sponsorship and how it works in 12-Step programs, which is not unlike our idea of support and I know we've certainly suggested this ideal in our Barix Support Group meetings, it is of great value to have someone share from the perspective of their own personal experience and the neat thing about sponsorship is, it is not about one being the "all knowing" it is about shared experiences and how they can help us evolve personally.

I wish to take this moment to thank all of you who have expressed your gratitude to me for sharing these with you.  Have a wonderful day!

I took the portion that was given to me and gave it to him.
--The Babylonian Talmud

Newcomer

Are there any rules about how to find a sponsor?

Sponsor

Some meetings have interim sponsorship programs. An interim sponsor works with a newcomer temporarily - a few weeks to a few months - while he or she looks for a regular tong-term sponsor. Sometimes, an interim sponsor becomes the newcomer's regular sponsor, if they both agree to it.

Long-term sponsorship is a relationship of trust, one that's likely to have a significant impact on the process of recovery. It's not a good idea to choose impulsively. When we attend meetings, we listen closely as people qualify or share. We'll hear people who have the serenity and sober experience we ourselves want. If we hear someone we think we'd like to ask to be our sponsor, we try phoning or going out for coffee with him or her first. We soon know whether or not we have the willingness to share and to listen. We sense whether this is someone whose guidance we can trust.

Sponsors should have a minimum of one year of recovery. It's suggested that a sponsor's gender not be that of his or her sponsee's sexual preference, for example, a heterosexual woman generally shouldn't choose a heterosexual male sponsor. It's a suggestion, not a rule, meant to keep the way clear, so that the sponsors and sponsees don't get distracted from their goal. The goal is continued, quality recovery - for both the sponsor and the sponsee.

Today, I welcome a sponsor-sponsee relationship that encourages and supports my recovery. 

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

bvohl
on 11/12/10 10:49 pm
Sounds like an interesting idea!!
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Laureen S.
on 11/12/10 10:52 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
It works well, keeps one accountable and growing the right direction, though people can only suggest what needs to be done, the actual doing requires willingness on the part of the person themselves.

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1991 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2678 views